What is a TMJ disorder?
TMJ stands for temporomandibular joint, which is the jaw joint near your ear. The ache, discomfort, or tenderness in or around the jaw joints can sometimes be caused by a TMJ disorder, or TMD.
Signs that you might have a TMD are:
- Facial irritation or tenderness
- Jaw ache
- Ache in or around the ears
- Neck strain
- Jaw stiffness
- Discomfort while chewing
- Difficulty opening and closing the mouth
- Jaw “locking up”
- Jaw makes a clicking sound
- Teeth that don't come together properly when eating or chewing
There are a variety of treatment options for TMD. Be sure to ask us about these.